Subject: [Leica] Cameras, Guns, and Lenses: Marketing Leica
From: "Bill Larsen" <ohlen@lightspeed.net>
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 1998 18:04:35 -0800

I promised myself to refrain from commenting on many of the recent =
threads which have included marketing Leica, equipment registration, =
guns, alarm systems, and real or perceived problems with Leica quality =
control. =20

However, some of the gun comments reminded me that at one time, Walther =
(who produced the PPK pistol) boxed and included the original quality =
test target upon which the weapon had been test fired.  This was a great =
source of pride to new buyers and enhanced the value of the weapon if =
sold used with the original test target.  This led me to a train of =
thought that included the question "why, when you buy a lens, doesn't =
the manufacturer include a series of test photographs demonstrating the =
characteristics of the individual lens?"

This would have benefits for everybody...the original buyer who would be =
assured that his lens was within specs...the subsequent owner who would =
be assured that he was not buying a reject...and finally, the collector, =
who would add value by possessing the original lens test photographs.

Oh well, if pigs could fly...if Leica could pony-up the money to print a =
manual unique to the M-6 .85....

Regards,  bill larsen