Subject: Re: [Leica] Mixed feelings about the Summilux-R 80mm f/1.4
From: Five Senses Productions <fls@5senses.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 1998 14:59:17 -0800

My sentiments exactly, Pascal.  I tried the 80/1.4 for about 2 months.
I even took it with me when I went to Southeast Asia for my 3 week trip.
I also was not entirely satisfied, and I have already made the switch to
the 100/2.8 APO.  Sure the 100 is slower, but I feel the lack of speed is
made up for by AMAZING image quality AND the Macro ability (1:2 without
help!).  I found the 80/1.4 to be TOO critical when it comes to focusing.
The times I needed the lens the most turned out to be the times when
I wanted to capture a bit of slow moving action, and not landscapes.
Even if you are a few millimeters off, you will lose the shot.
I was also disappointed with the 35/1.4, and sold that as well.
I am a happier man today with my new 50/2, 100 APO, and 180/2.8.

At 10:30 PM 2/20/98 +0100, you wrote:
>It is now almost six months I am using the Summilux-R 80mm f/1.4 ROM with
>my R8. So far, the feelings are mixed.
>
>Positive about the handiness and relative compactness of the lens. It
>goes well with the R8 and fits perfectly in my hands. A joy to use. Also,
>the viewfinder gives a very bright image, which makes it easier to focus.
>This is important as focusing wide-open can be very critical.
>
>Somewhat disappointed about the overall image quality. BAS reports'
>diagrams for sharpness and contrast show this should be a very good
>performer (except at 1.4), I am not entirely satisfied. My own feeling of
>"subjective sharpness" tells me my images are not always as tack-sharp as
>I would like them to be. Mind you, I would not call the quality bad. No,
>it feels rather good or average. Nothing very Leica about it.
>First I thought it was me not focusing precisely enough or shooting at
>too slow a speed, but I have tested a few rolls of film (Fuji Reala) to
>be sure to rule this out. I used large apertures as well as more average
>ones, but my feeling was always the same. The pictures lacked crispness.
>
>This is especially a pity in view of the very high price of this lens. In
>terms of image quality, I am beginning to feel as if I should have gone
>for the Apo-Macro-Elmarit 100mm instead of the Summilux. I was hesiting
>last year when making the choice, but I am slowly starting to regret my
>decision.
>
>Anyone having anything to say on this?
>
>Pascal

>t h i n k    d i f f e r e n t                 a p p l e
><<< PGP public key available on request >>>

Francesco Sanfilippo,
Five Senses Productions
webmaster@5senses.com

http://www.5senses.com/