Subject: Re: [Leica] Mixed feelings about the Summilux-R 80mm f/1.4
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Sat, 21 Feb 1998 20:08:51 -0600

At 10:30 PM 2/20/98 +0100, you wrote:

>This is especially a pity in view of the very high price of this lens. In
>terms of image quality, I am beginning to feel as if I should have gone
>for the Apo-Macro-Elmarit 100mm instead of the Summilux. I was hesiting
>last year when making the choice, but I am slowly starting to regret my
>decision.
>
>Anyone having anything to say on this?

Yes, one thing. How could you compare these two lenses. They are for
totally different purposes. Pick the lens that works with the majority of
the subjects you want to use it with. I don't know if your version of the
Summilux 80 might be a bit off, but most people report it to be an
outstanding lens. The pictures I've seen taken with it would indicate that
it's design is wonderful. But you can't expect 100 apo macro sharpness at
1.4. That's not what the lens is expected to do. It's going to give good
performance at 1.4 for a 1.4 lens.

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO
http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch

There's too much blood in my caffeine system.