Subject: Re: [Leica] I need back up M body recommendations.
From: Carl Socolow <csocolow@microserve.net>
Date: Sat, 21 Feb 1998 13:07:06 -0500

Gabe Sachs wrote:

> Hello there.
>
> I have an M6 and I am looking for a back up body.  I can't get another M6
> right now because of cost, but I knew if I turned to my LUG friends, I'd
> get some great recommendations.  I'm looking for an affordable workhorse in
> the older M bodies which I don't have much experience in.  Hopefully
> something that I can find pretty readily that  isn't so collectible. (if
> that's even possible.)  Any suggestions would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks
> Gabe

Gabe,

My recommendation is a used M3. I like the near life-size finder
especially with longer lenses. After all isn't that what the M6 HM is
trying to achieve? The viewfinder variation from your M6 allows you to
use wider lenses with that camera and longer lenses with the M3. It's a
solid camera that's built like a tank. I have a double-stroke which I
love. Many people have them converted to single-stroke but I find the
shorter lever throw actually quite comfortable. Of course there are the
single-stroke M3s as well. I guess one caveat is the finder. I
understand that it is more complex and somewhat unique as Leicas go and
therefore more expensive to fix and/or harder to find parts for. I
believe Stephen Gandy's page on choosing M cameras details some of these
issues (http://cameraquest.com/mguide.htm). I also wouldn't hesitate to
recommend the M2 but the finder is so similar in perspective to the M6
(although not as cluttered). If you use mostly wide & normal lenses I'd
consider it as a second body. My M3 is now 41 years old and my M2 is 36
years old. Both recently visited Sherry Krauter who has prepared them
for their next 40 years. Good luck.

Carl S.