Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica-Users List Digest V2 #183
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Sat, 21 Feb 1998 20:03:40 -0600

At 12:29 PM 2/20/98 -0500, you wrote:

>Could you talk a little bit about differect characteristics or 'family looks'
>of lenses among Leica, Canon, and Nikon?  From your website, I learned
that you
>have used L,C, and N lenses.

General observations (don't apply to individual lenses) are this:

Leica has a more three-dimensional look. The color is gorgeous, and has a
special quality to it that only Leica lenses have.

Contax lenses are blue, blue blue! I've used the 85 1.4 and the 35mm 2.8.
Great lenses, but blue! (Okay, probably more cyan, but people seem to think
blue (sky blue) when they say blue quite often).

Nikon lenses have a lot of contrast. Quite coarse actually in some cases,
in others quite like Leica. Nikon lenses tend to be warmer than even Leica.

Canon lenses are very sharp, but don't have the same contrast as Leica or
Nikon. Canon are more blue, like Contax, than Nikon or Leica.

Overall, the performance of Leica lenses are exceptional in the color and
contrast. In the purity of the color, though it's not neutral. But
cross-contamination is minimal. If you ask me, the flare control of Leica
lenses tend to be better than anyone else's, with some exceptions.

And the pictures are (as my family says) "clearer." I hate using that word,
but it works for me.

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO
http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch

There's too much blood in my caffeine system.