Subject: Re: [Leica] 35/1.4 ASPH 1st version questions
From: Dan Cardish <dcardish@microtec.net>
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 1998 19:21:58 -0500

At 01:15 PM 24-02-98 -0800, Jim asked:
>Hi Folks,
>
>I have a question. Actually a couple of questions.
>
>Is there any performance differences between the 1st (two ASPH elements)
>and the 2nd (one ASPH element) 35/1.4 M lenses?
>
>And,
>
>Why is the first version commanding such a hefty price?

I would doubt that there is any noticeable differences between the two
versions.  Since I own the first version, I would be more than amenable to
do a test with someone who owned the second version, to see how they
compared.

As far as the price is concerned, supposedly there were only 2000 made, and
in fact part of the folklore associated with this lens states that many of
the lenses were rejected due to quality control problems, so that the
actual existing samples is closer to 1500.

Some more folklore (take with large grain of salt):

- -the aspheric elements were ground by an elderly workman in the plant who
was the last one who had the knowhow to make them.
- -the aspheric elements were made as a personal project by TWO elderly
workman in the plant, and were discovered (in their lockers) when they
retired.  Leica then designed a lens around them (this is my favourite!).
There were just enough elements for 2000 lenses.

I'm sure that Erwin will have a totally mundane explanation for the REAL
production of the lens.

Dan C.