Subject: Re: [Leica] 75/2 Astro Berlin???
From: Fred Hess <fredhess@wxs.nl>
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 1998 20:46:44 +0100

Stephen wrote:

> I just picked up a 75/2 Astro Berlin Gauss-Tachar pre-war uncoated LTM
> RF coupled lens.   It seems fairly rare, even Marc was not aware of it.
>
> Does anyone else out there know anything about it, or have other LTM RF
> coupled lenses by Astro-Berlin?
>
> Stephen Gandy

Hello Stephen,

I did not know they also made RF-coupled lenses. There are also
single-eye-reflexlenses
named Tachar 1:1.8/ 125 and 150 mm.
Astro was a brand of the german firm Bielicke & Co. Berlin. They were
known for thier extreme telephoto-lenses such as Telestan 1:3.5/
200-2000mm and the "Fernbildlinse" 1:5/300-1000mm. As far as I know this
firm doesn't exists anymore.
This lenses were made for use in combination with their own
reflexhousing or with the Visoflex I,II and III. There were also
versions made to fit the Arriflex 16 and 35mm movie-cameras.
In the Swiss book: "LEICA-Fotoschule", page 29, is a picture of a
"Wehrmachts"-soldier using an Astro 1:4/800mm lens and a LTM-camera
shooting pictures over the Channel from the french coast of english
radar-intallations!! 1941!!!
- --
Regards!!

Fred Hess

Den Haag   / the Hague
Nederland / the Netherlands (NL)

tel + 31 70 325 83 12    fax + 31 70 325 86 34