Subject: Re: [Leica] ground glass
From: Fred Hess <fredhess@wxs.nl>
Date: Mon, 16 Mar 1998 07:01:48 +0100

Jim Brick wrote:

> At 02:35 AM 3/14/98 -0500, you wrote:
> >Dear LUGnuts:
> >
> >For me, I find the 'grit' an annoyence and the lack of brightness to be
> >undesirable. When I brought up these issues perviously, some of you disagreed
> >with me siting various raves from writers reviewing the R8 as being amongst
> >the best of the best in viewfinders.
> >
> >... (a lot missing!)
> >
> >Pete Myers
> >

> Pete,
>
> You are going through what I went through with my 4x5 Linhof. A pure ground
> glass is gritty and needs a fresnel lens to make it bright enough to use.
> Focusing wide angle lenses was always a problem when using swings & tilts
> because you have to focus, not only in the center of the screen, but at the
> outside edges. Almost impossible with a fresnel lens (or bright screen). I
> found a product, made in Holland, called the BOSSSCREEN. It's two very thin
> pieces of glass with a very very thin layer of wax in between. It is
> absolutely creamy smooth. No grit. And a pure joy to focus upon. Bright
> from corner to corner. A savior! It's imported by Bromwell Marketing (412)
> 321-4118. You most likely would have to go to the manufacturer, which I
> believe is:
>
> Van Doornen Innovision, Stabilix B.V., Den Haag
>
> What I wrote above, I copied off of the box, so you may need a little help
> from our LUG European friends to actually track down these people. Or call
> Mr. Bromwell, he is a very nice guy.
>
> Jim

STABILUX can be contacted by phone: + 31 70 397 00 61 or fax: + 31 70
397 93 21

their adress: Burgemeester Hovylaan 84,
Zipcode:      NL 2552 AZ  DEN HAAG           (=The Hague)

which is about 2 km from the place were I live! This firm makes
quartz-components, electronics and precision-optics.

With kind regards!
- --

Fred Hess

Den Haag   / the Hague
Nederland / the Netherlands (NL)

tel + 31 70 325 83 12    fax + 31 70 325 86 34