Subject: Re: [Leica] Off-Topic: DoubleTake Magazine
From: Donal Philby <donalphilby@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 1998 11:49:17 -0800

Dave Myers wrote:

> Hello...
>
> I just got my first issue of DoubleTake magazine, a quarterly magazine
> of photography and literature.
>
> You might know about it.
>
> There are a couple of pieces that might be of interest to some of you.
> First, an article about W. Eugene Smith's Pittsbugh project -- the one
> he undertook in 1955 after he left Life magazine.  There are some never
> before published images and a picture of Smith holding what looks like
> an early Leica with a 90mm f4(?).  The photographs are exceptional.
>
> Also, an essay by Barry Lopez entitled "Learning to See," an
> autobiographical piece about how he dropped photography to devote all of
> his energies to writing.
>
> The magazine is beautiful.

Funny, I just dropped my subscription because I mostly found the
photographs so insipid that I never got around to the text.  The
professed to do "documentary," but really just did contrived stuff.
Really pedestrian.  I felt I had wasted my money.  But the two articles
have interest.  I love Barry Lopez' writing.  He is perhaps the most
intimate nature writer I have every read, save Loren Eisely.

Might have to cop a read at the newsstand.

donal

- --
Donal Philby
San Diego