Subject: [Leica] Nikon Coolscan II -- old dogs can learn new tricks
From: Stephen Kobrin <kobrins@wharton.upenn.edu>
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 1998 21:55:32 -0500

I finally got my Nikon Coolscan II up and running and scanned in the first
slide I could find.  It works!!  Even with my limited knowledge of the
scanning software and of Photoshop, I got a reasonable image, although
there does appear to be a loss of detail in the shadow areas.  It is
fantastic to see the image pop up on the screen in full color.  I can wait
to see how it does with a negative and with B&W, but that will have to wait
for another night.

Other than shouting "I did it," I do want to pass on what I have learned
over the last few days for other LUGGERS who may go this route.  The
installation instructions that come with the scanner stink ...my teenager's
choice of "S" word is more appropriate.  Go to the Nikon website
(nikontechusa.com) and then go to FAQs and click on scanners.  I could not
have got it installed without downloading a brochure in Adobe pdf format
that is available from the "how do I install my scanner" FAQ.  It is touchy
to download -- it took me three tries -- but worth it.  Without it I could
not have done it.  Also, if we do not have enough to worry about, my brand
new Gateway Pentium II did not have a spare IRQ address for the SCSI card.
(I did not know about ISQs untill yesterday either.)  It took some help
from our systems people to solve the problem.  Check system resources
before you get the scanner and make sure you can make a place for it.

I have a lot to learn, but am really looking forward to it.  Thanks to all
who encouraged me on the LUG.

Steve