Subject: [Leica] Re: You Leitz Up My Life
From: ted grant <75501.3002@compuserve.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 1998 23:25:32 -0500

Tom Lavrakas wrote:

<<<I myself was once stopped from taking a picture of a communist
procession marching up to Lenin's Tomb (such folks like to go there and
like, hang.  They really should.). Forbidden!>>>>>

Tom here's one for you and other Luggers.

May 1/92  Red Sqaure, Moscow.

There was a major demonstration to happen by Communists on the Square and
police had it closed off when we arrived. I could see members of the media
already on the Square waiting for the demonstration to begin.

My interpreter, a survivor of the Chernobyl catastrophe, as that was the
story I was working on, not the Communist demo. "Meester Grant we can't go
in there."  Me: "What do you mean we can't go in there. Go over and tell
that guard I came all the way from Canada for this day and show him this
identification card."   It was my British Columbia drivers licence as a
card of authority and I figured the guard couldn't read English anyway, so
what the hell why not! :)

Alexander went reluctantly to the guard at the gate and explained I was a
famous Canadian photojournalist come to Moscow to photograph the ceremonies
of May Day.  The guard said, "Da!" and we were in. Poor Alexander  nearly
had a bird as he had never seen guards be so coooperative.

When we walked up onto Red Square it was empty except for a few TV crews
and news photographers. Alexander kept saying, "Mr.Grant we must stay a way
over here out of the way, as the police will come and take us away."

My response. "Not today! Alexabder, have you ever been on Red Square on May
Day?"   Alexander, "Never! It was not allowed unless you were a Communist
official!"   I said, "You see all those TV crews and newsphotographers
around here? The cops are not going to do anything! Today, you and I, we
own Red Square!"  He smiled and said, "Da!" Much to my surprise! :)

So we walked right down the middle of the Square and I shot freely without
any thought of police action. (Secretly I was really hoping that nothing
WOULD happen, as I had convinced this young man that democracy was the only
way!" :)

Nothing did happen and I got great material on the demo. However my "body
keepers", the young Russian guys taking care of me who couldn't translate
"body guards" into anything but "body keepers", so it became "body
keepers", had to grab and drag me out of the way of the very hostile
Communists as they marched defiantly through the Square for their rally.

It was a good thing the boys did what they did, as these Commies were a
mean assed bunch. My Leicas and I would have been badly burnt toast if I
stood my ground as we would at home and the marchers just flow around us.

I used three R7's with motors and two M6 cameras during the event with the
"body keepers" watching my tail all the way. :) Quite an experince!

One of my many Russia tales of adventure. :)

ted