Subject: Re: [Leica] in the shadows of giants....
From: Ian Stanley <ian@mos.com.np>
Date: Mon, 02 Mar 1998 15:08:54 +0500

At 10:16 AM 98-03-01 -0500, you wrote:
>Ian,
>You are really fortunate, from my point of view, to be in a place with such
>marvelous visual possibilities!
>Are you there on a 'job' or did you decide to run away to an exotic and
>isolated place!?
>I'm not trying to be nosey...just a little nosey!
>dwpost@msn.com

Hello Dan,

	I too consider myself lucky to be here on most days - on some other days I
would like to be on the first plane out of here.  My first trip to Nepal
was in 1992 when I did a short (one month) contract here for the Canadian
Government, while I was on my way to Inner Mongolia for another contract
that I was working on.  The entire family came back to Nepal in February of
1993 for a contract that I was working on for the Asian Development Bank
and the Swiss.  It involved building four large technical schools in
various parts of the country, upgrading some current facilities as well as
all aspects of training that go along with projects like this.  My contract
finished in the early part of 1996 but my wife works with and American
company (we're Canadian) so we just stayed on.  Since then I have turned my
part time hobby into a full time business and have been working on my
photography ever since.  I have my own b&w darkroom set up in the house and
do all of the work from shooting through to the final framing.

	As far as running away goes - I think I have been doing that all of my
life.  After doing a series of prepackaged tours with the Canadian military
I was hooked on travel and we have worked overseas as often as possible
ever since.  There are benefits such as not paying taxes anywhere but at
the same time it is very difficult to get photography supplies so I have to
bring everything in with me.  I always leave with empty suitcases and
return with them full.  We will be in Nepal until June 1999 and if
everything works out we will be moving to London, England.

	To keep this on topic - I work with Leica M's.

	Speaking of which - I have had some trouble with a new M6 that I bought
last year (I will tell you the whole story when it is finally settled with
Leica in Solms).  One of the things I questioned them about was that the
top screw was not sealed but they did not tell me that they had stopped
doing this.  My M4-P has a seal.

Ian Stanley

Kathmandu, Nepal