Subject: Re: [Leica] Pros and autofocus
From: Jack Gottlob <sam@injersey.com>
Date: Mon, 02 Mar 1998 06:51:54 -0800

John McLeod wrote:

> I, too, have found it problematic to use autofocus cameras in such
> situations since one is forced to learn to shoot in altogether different
> ways.  With autofocus, you have to focus first, then compose the shot.  If
> the subject moves, you must refocus and the re-compose (or trust Nikon's or
> others' attempts at "dynamic" focus tracking, etc.).  With a manual camera
> like the R6, you can focus while you are composing, and can easily alter the
> plane of focus as the subject moves.  Sure, you will miss exact focus some
> or much of the time, but at least you don't have to keep shifting the little
> focus point back to your subject, and then re-compose.  Comments
> appreciated.
>
> JohnAlthough I don't shoot alot of side line assignments. any time I have
shot action I find that the majority of the newpaper and magazine
photographers shooting Cannons in auto focus and auto exposure mode.  My
N90's are not generally fast enough to focus a sport such as football,
but if I want to shoot wide open to get the look that I want there is no
other way that I can do it be in focus.
Jack