Subject: Re: [Leica] Princesses and Trees
From: dannyg1 <dannyg1@IDT.NET>
Date: Wed, 04 Mar 1998 04:16:54 +0000

Pete,

> My comments were used as an illustration to a point
> on how silly it is to need to get a permit to shoot in a National Park when we
> live in a society that allows people's privacy to be invaded in the name of
> 'news'.

There can be no reasonable expectation of privacy in a public place (or view). When
you're in public, you can't undress, copulate or even safely excavate your proboscis.
The antimony between the contrasting concepts of public and private is what's
being challenged here.

There are good reasons why public is public and private is private. I don't think
accepting a royal classe of privileged people, with rights of 'public privacy' would be
good and giving everyman a 'privacy zone' in public would only legitimize a
growing belief that violence is an acceptable response to having your photo snapped
without expressed 'permission' (which would spell the end of candid and news
photography).

When you're in a civil country, photographing in public is not poor behavior. I'm
sorry to say that by the populist vision, neither is beating on a photographer (I use
the A. Baldwin case in example). We're being marginalized and prepared for a more
universal disdain.

>  to assert that my belief
> is "Hard Copy" based is hardly fair nor do I think it reflects in the facts.

Celebrities money in pocket is based on exciting the public interest while excluding
their participation. This, understandably, results in voyeurism. Creating (or
allowing the perpetuation of) this monster comes at both a price and a profit. People
who can do this are usually very rich and do hold the publics interest long after their
accomplishments warrant much interest at all. They also cannot freely participate
with the public, in its everyday life.

It's a choice they make for themselves; in some ways, it's sad, but in most ways, it's
happily made.

'Hard Copy', and like TV shows play on effects of celebrity by presenting themselves
as insiders with access to the hidden world of the celebrated while subtly directing
outrage at issues du jour.  They're dangerous as arbiters of much-anything because
they're playing to the more base habits of the public (jealousy, group-think anger
and simplistic assumption) while encouraging snap judgement by the audience, in
the interest of affirming group-righteousness. They do not invite thorough analysis
of any subject, preferring instead to direct how it is you're to react for you.

It is that machine that is bearing down on photography now and the effects are
being felt by photographers everywhere. Whether your personal conclusion is
'based' on 'Hard Copy' or not was not my point. My point was that you share the
populist view they created and encourage.

Danny Gonzalez