Subject: Re: [Leica] wide angle R lenses- -which one?
From: John McLeod <johnmcleod@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Thu, 05 Mar 1998 11:02:46 +0000

Francesco --

Just to heap confusion upon confusion, my favorite wide-short tele focal
lengths are 24, 35, and 80-85.  The 19 would also be a lot of fun to have
and use -- Eric says it's great.  But still, the other three are more
versatile and practical in my opinion.

I own the 24/2.8 and 35/2.0.  Both are great.  If anything, the 24 appears
to be slightly sharper.  Tonal rendition is great with both lenses.  I use
the 35 much more than the 24, and if I had a 28, I'd use it less than
either.  Why?  Because the 35 presents the most natural perspective, is the
fastest of the lenses, gives a brighter viewfinder.  To me, 24 is more "fun"
than the 28 and farther away from the 35.  I think 35 is an essential focal
length, and 28 is pretty close to it.

The 24/2.8 R is a somewhat maligned lens maybe due to its Minolta origins.
Personally, I have found this lens to be built like an absolute tank.  The
external hood is beautifully made and has a very positive bayonet style
mount.  The images the lens produces are excellent in all respects (not that
much fall-off wide open either).  If and when the new 24 ASPH comes out,
I'll keep this older design.  The reason -- the images are great and
contrary to its Minolta heritage, it feels and works like pure Leica.  The
"new" one may be better, but I wonder if it will have the utterly solid feel
that the older model has.

John McLeod