Subject: Re: [Leica] New Leica lenses with faults
From: Paul and Paula Butzi <butzi@halcyon.com>
Date: Fri, 06 Mar 1998 08:50:40 -0800

At 09:35 AM 3/5/98 , you wrote:
>I remember a thread a few weeks ago about faults in new Leica products. I
recently received my brand new Summicron Asph. for the M, following a wait
of around nine weeks.

>It has a flaw on one of the internal elements (a round mark like if you
spill liquid and it evaporates). I don't know what it is as it is inside.
It also has quite a lot of visible dirt inside. I was going to return the
lens but the thought of being without one for the estimated nine to twelve
weeks is too much, so I think (as I cannot see any obvious degredation on
the pix), I shall just have to keep it. What do people think?

I think that you should return the lens.  Or, if you like, suggest to the
people you bought it
from that since the lens is clearly sub-par, you'd like to exchange the
top-quality U.S.
dollars you paid with for some sub-standard currency - say, convertible
rubles.

The bottom line here is that we pay more than premium prices for Leica
gear.  You
have every right to expect that those prices will command superior quality
of product
and service.  If that's not what's being delivered, then you should demand
that the
price be adjusted, or else that the quality you expect be delivered.  Now.
If you accept less, then they will continue to deliver less in the future.

If there's a mark on the optics, and dirt inside, it would definitely
affect performance.
That's why we expect that lenses arrive without marks and crud inside, and why
we inspect lenses when buying used gear.  Hell, even if it *doesn't* affect
performance,
for the price you paid, you have the right to equipment that not only
performs well
but gives you peace of mind that that performance is assured.

Take the lens back.  Tell them politely but firmly that you're not
satisfied.  Tell them
politely but firmly that you want to exchange the lens for another one
which is clean
and without flaws, and that you're not interested in waiting.

They should accept the lens back graciously and apologetically, and arrange
to either
allow you to keep the flawed lens until the replacement arrives or else
return your
money while waiting for the replacement, *AND YOU SHOULD BE GIVEN A CHOICE*
of which you prefer.  Other lenses just like the one you purchased exists
(but without
flaws)  and are  sitting on shelves somewhere in the world.  Federal
Express will
deliver to anywhere in the world (all right, virtually anywhere) in two
days or less.

- -Paul Butzi