Subject: Re: [Leica] New Leica lenses with faults
From: Dave Munroe <dmunroe@vcd.hp.com>
Date: Thu, 05 Mar 1998 19:55:09 -0800

Harold Gess wrote:

> It has a flaw on one of the internal elements (a round mark like if
> you spill liquid and it evaporates). I don't know what it is as it is
> inside. It also has quite a lot of visible dirt inside. I was going to
> return the lens but the thought of being without one for the estimated
> nine to twelve weeks is too much, so I think (as I cannot see any
> obvious degredation on the pix), I shall just have to keep it. What do
> people think?

One speck wouldn't bother me, but you mention "quite a lot of
visible dirt inside".  That bothers me.  You really can't evaluate
any degredation because you have nothing unflawed to compare it
with.  Anyway, my opinion below assumes that this quantity of
visible dirt inside is significant.

My first reaction is that you're paying for the best optics, so
you should get the best.  I would expect that from any of the top
camera or lens manufacturers, not just Leica, quality control
should be high enough that the customer never has to be faced with
an issue like this.

My second reaction is that it is up to us, the people who pay
unflawed money for Leica products, to set the standards of
what we'll accept.  If you keep it, that's a vote for saying
what they've done is acceptable.  If you send it back, you're
telling them they'll have to do better.  Again, this is assuming
this round mark and the amount of dust is significant.

As for the time lag, an ideal camera company would let you keep
your lens until the replacement arrived, at which point you would
exchange it.  I doubt Leica or anyone would do that these days,
but, if you choose to have it replaced, perhaps you could coax them
into rushing the replacement to you.

- -Dave