Subject: Re: [Leica] New or Used
From: "Hans Pahlen" <hans@komvux.skola.mark.se>
Date: Sat, 7 Mar 1998 18:49:35 +0100

Dale, although the Summicron 50 is one of the 'Leica crown jewels', it is
one of cheapest to buy new. If your other gear is new, why not complete it
with another brand new lens.
I personally like the built in lens hood better than the older variant. It
takes less room in the camera bag, and you will not see it when looking in
the viewfinder.
Optically, the Summicron 50 is unchanged since 1979, except from the lens
hood. Like Erwin Puts has stated, it is exceptionally good, and no
M-photographer should be without it. It is my favorite M-lens!
I also have an old rigid Summicron 50, that I rarely use nowadays. I just
can't part with it, because it is such a beautiful lens, and it looks good
on my M2-M4.
/Hans