Subject: Re: [Leica] Which lens to buy ?
From: "dbledsoe" <dbledsoe@micron.net>
Date: Sat, 7 Mar 1998 13:11:15 -0700

Lars,

>> I have to deside between a used 180/2.8 or to wait for a used 180/3.4
APO.  I want to now if anyone can tell me which advantages the APO has and
if it is worth it to wait??<<

I recently bought a 180/2.8 and then a 180/3.4 apo.  The 180/2.8 had a
problem and I was forced to return it.  I did get to shoot a few frames with
it before it was returned.  When I processed the film (Kodak Elite II 100)
the images were not as sharp as I believed they should be.  Certainly not as
good as my 90/2.8 Elmarit-R.  When I asked for a replacement for the 180/2.8
I asked for a 180/3.4 apo instead.  I shot the same subjects again with the
180/3.4 and the same film.  There was a noticeable increase in color
saturation, contrast, and sharpness of detail.  I am now pleased I chose the
180/3.4 apo.

Of course much will depend on what you shoot.  The 180/2.8 is better at mid
range subjects (or so I am told) than the 180/3.4 supposedly is (the 180/3.4
is supposedly the champ at infinity but not at closer ranges.  But I haven't
found that to be true at all).  And of course the extra lens speed may
easily offset the additional sharpness qualities of the 180/3.4.  More
sharpness isn't much good if you can't get a good shot due to  exposure/hand
held reasons.

regards,
Don Bledsoe
Boise, Idaho