Subject: Re: [Leica] Testing a lens before buying it
From: "Harold Gess" <gess@icon.co.za>
Date: Sun, 8 Mar 1998 15:14:44 +0200

Ahhhhhhhh

You are lucky to be able to test anything before buying. Here where I live
things work as follows. Dealers do not keep stock (except one who has an M6
with 50 summicron and an R8 with no lenses). The agents do not keep stock.
If you want a lens / body / filter / etc you order it from dealer / agents.
They order it from england / Germany.

The order means when it arrives (many weeks later) you pay your money and
take your goods. If you don't like it, too bad. If it is faulty it might be
replaced but Solms does not really want to know about it. The paperwork,
shipping, etc will usually take months.

Now, part of the problem down here in Africa there are, if you examine
things carefully, only four countries in which there are importers
recognised by Leica in Solms. And the sad thing is that Leica is not even
sure where they are! This is why they have a nice little map on their web
page which shows a red dot in South Africa and a red dot in Egypt, however
their list on the referring web page lists agencies in Angola, Egypt, Kenya,
and Mauritius. Now, what could the meaning of that red dot in South Africa
be??!! (not to mention that Mauritius is an island off the coast of Africa).

So, turning to the new Leica guarantee card I received with the dog of a
35mm Summicron Asph, I discover that Leica lists only one Leica service
point in Africa, and that one is in South Africa!!

So, you see it is not surprising that we have some problems in the Leica
world. Somehow the teaching of Geography has obviously been dropped from the
school sylabus in Germany. I wonder what else is no longer taught?

Best wishes

yours full of complaints on a rainy Sunday afternoon

Harold

Visit my web site at:
http://hgphoto.home.ml.org

You can send a short text message to my cellphone by sending e-mail to
0837004303@sms.co.za.
Please ensure that mail sent for this purpose is in plain text only.

My e-mail addresses are as follows:
haroldgess@journalist.com
gess@icon.co.za
Please use either of these to reach me and, lest you lose sight of it, have
a nice day!