Subject: Re: [Leica] contax g2 lenses - comparable to Leica M?
From: steve echols <steve@mvillage.com>
Date: Sun, 08 Mar 98 09:13:27 -0500

>I'm one of those people who likes good optics, certainly, but am also
>concerned with matters of how well the total package performs.
>
>In the case of the Contax G2, I'm surprised that no one mentioned one
>possible problem: You have no means of verifying it's focus--whether
>shooting manual- or autofocus, all goes through the same circuitry, and,
>short of viewing the top-mounted distance scale, you're kept in the dark as
>to what's going on. As the former owner of a Fuji GA645, I really
>appreciated having the distance readout in the finder, as means of spotting
>any really whacky errors, and the Fuji certainly did whacky things in low
>light situations.
I had a G1 and G2 with 3 lenses. I used it for a job shooting stained glass
windows with the 90mm from about 15 feet. some were out of focus. I lost my
trust in the camera as a professional system, and it was too much money for
a personal camera. went with screwmount after that and on to M4s.Quick
autofocus is nice, but without the slr feedback of what is in focus... also
I didn't like the motor noises, and the refocusing after every portrait
exposure, buzz buzz click, buzz buzz click.buzz buzz click. I still want to
buy another one, but I won't.
Steve