Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica M vs. R lenses thought
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Sun, 08 Mar 1998 12:02:07 -0600

At 11:26 AM 3/8/98 +0100, you wrote:

>These are moments when you start to think that an investment in R series
>lenses is less well-sound than M series (latest). Sure, the R8 is a nice
>camera, but when you start comparing lenses...

You make a lot of assumptions that aren't correct. First of all, Leica has
been working hard on R lenses for many yeras. The 100 Apo Macro. The 35
Summilux R is a superb lens, only beaten by the 35 Summicron and Summilux
ASPH lenses. Whenever I see tests, that's the case. I've used two of them.
They are superb and beat the previous 35 Summilux and Summicron Ms by a
long shot.

The 19mm Elmarit is a quite new design, and doesn't necessarily need an
aspherical element. It is so good, I can't imagine how they could improve
it except that tiny bit of vignetting in the extreme (and I mean extreme!)
corners. Other than that, it's a lens that can stand up against any wide
angle lens Leica or anyone else offers. I use the 35 Summilux ASPH, and the
Elmarit is just as good a lens, in terms that can legitimately be compared.

The new 28 Elmarit is a new design, as you mention it's superb. You are
correct that many of the lenses in the wide area can be improved. But That
is only the 35 Summicron R and 24 Elmarit R. The 28 Super Angulon PC lens
is already superb. The 15 is superb.

It was the long end where Leica really lacked for many years until the
advent of:

100 Apo Macro,
180 f/2 Apo Summicron
(Soon to be 180 Apo Elmarit!)
280 f/4 Apo Telyt and the Modular system.
70-180 2.8
105-280 f/4.2

Then they concentrated on the M6, and now, after may years, they have
lenses as good or better than the R system. Now it's time for the R system
to get some great wide/fast lenses. Give them some time. They only went
public in '96 and tripled their R&D budget then. It took 8 years to design
and execute the R8. I'm hoping for a new 35 Summilux R ASPH some day! <G>
But I love what I have today.

So you are mostly right! But you misjudge the R system compared to Nikon
and Canon. Leica's old lenses can still stack up to the others and most of
the time beat them.

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO
http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch

Logic: The art of being wrong with confidence...