Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica M vs. R lenses thought
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Sun, 08 Mar 1998 16:18:06 -0600

At 12:50 PM 3/8/98 -0500, you wrote:

>who "work their cameras" for a living. Although the pro market still isn't
>their biggest as I understand, it's moving rapidly since the R8 became
>available. Look out when motors are available.

Ted,

I've heard more photojournalists speak favorably about Leica, since the R8
came out, who knows? Many of them are disgruntled with what Nikon isn't
doing, and what Canon IS doing to cameras. They're getting too complex.
Getting in the way of shooting. Maybe amateurs need, or more likely want,
all those dials, modes, settings and custom functions. AF is great for
sports pros, some of whom are so good they're still as good, and a few
better, than AF. But when it comes to straight, down to earth documentary
photojournalism, like your book, nothing beats simplicity that doesn't get
in the way, or make you think just what the heck button was I supposed to
push to get this effect, shutter speed, or metering pattern?

Leica is liberation!

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO
http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch

IRS: We've got what it takes to take what you've got!