Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica M vs. R lenses thought
From: "A S Jordan" <andrewsjordan@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Mon, 9 Mar 1998 01:23:32 -0500

>to wonder, "What the hell is the big deal with the super whiz bang gizmos
>that Canon are trying to tell us we need to become better photographers?"
>
>What don't they understand in, "Make the camera better and simple! And
>we'll buy !"
>>ted
 Ted: I agree that the "super whiz bang" folks are only interested in
instantly making a product obsolescent. With Leica equipment-even with
screw-mount lenses- you feel that you own and use instruments that may be
improved but will never go out of "style". Consider the "joys" of
automation. The Nikon 6006 used by my ex-wife has an instruction manual of
about 140 pages; add to it 40 pages for the built in flash. In contrast, the
manual of the M4 is less than 20 pages long and its operation is intuitively
obvious. The Nikon is an autofocus camera but to remember all its wonderful
features is nearly impossible. In other words, the cameras may be automatic
but our brains "ain't"!

regards, Andrew Jordan