Subject: Re: [Leica] M6 J and a new M camera!
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Mon, 09 Mar 1998 12:22:13 -0500

At 04:11 PM 3/9/98 +0200, Emmanuel-Temp Lowi wrote:

>You are entitled to your illusions. Talk to any experienced repair
>technician: they're all amazed at how current M cameras are built more
>cheaply today. The rangefinder assembly has been cheapened even, to the
>detriment of focussing accuracy.

I am perhaps in touch with more repair folks than the average LUG'er, and
their take simply isn't this one.  The RF units used in the M6 are
identical to those in the M4 cameras.  The shutters are identical.  Where
there have been changes, these have been driven by the change in general
culture, for the most part, and not to "cheapen" the camera.  For instance,
the M4 and earlier Leicas had a LOT of adjustment points for various
sub-assemblies:  these made sense in an era when Leica urged an annual CLA
for the camera.  Today, these adjustment points have been removed.  This
makes excellent sense in an era when we have our cameras worked on every
decade or so, as otherwise the cameras would be slipping out of adjustment
every couple of years.

And this jives with my own experience:  every M4 I've owned was a nightmare
requiring a lot of service, as SOMETHING was always a-gley, while my M6 has
been absolutely trouble-free.

Generalizations and accusations are readily made but, the truth is, the
Leica M6 is a tough, durable camera well in line with Leitz and Leica
traditions.

Marc

msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bas fir gun ghras fir!