Subject: Re: [Leica] Lens Tests
From: RBedw51767 <RBedw51767@aol.com>
Date: Mon, 9 Mar 1998 13:21:59 EST

Re: Message from Bud Cook
98-03-09 12:48 EST

Bud:
I agree with you.  It's such a waste of time.  The entire process has to be
consistent to be meaningful; film, processing, temperature, exposure,
enlarger, enlarger lens,shutter speed, f stop, etc.  I don't really care if
the tests indicate that "x" lens is sharper at f5.6 than f4.0.  Do you think
that I am going to shoot all of my photos at f5.6?  Not hardly.  We don't
proudly show to our family and friends pictures we've taken of tests.  Too
much time is spent worrying about this....in my opinion. Do you think that I'm
going to sell my 50mm f2.8 because the 50mm 2.0 is sharper?  I don't think so.
Do you think that I am going to stop using my 35mm f1.4-R lense on my R8
because my 35mm f1.4 Aspheric on my M6 is sharper at f1.4?  This is poppycock
that we are even talking about such a thing.   It's the technique more than
the equipment, in my opinion.

I have just joined this forum and thus far I have learned some things.
However, I don't want to lose focus(play on words) that the equipment is not
the most important element of the photographic process.  It is end result that
I am after and I don't believe that anyone would be able to select a
photograph made with a Leica vs a Nikon vs a Canon vs a Contax vs a Pentax vs
an Olympus, etc.   I prefer Leica equipment because of its history,
reputation, basic simplicity, dependability,solidity, consistency and quality.
I remember the days when I couldn't afford Leica and I was still rewarded with
outstanding quality photographs.

The product Leica has a cult following which is OK.  It's nice reading and
talking about some of these things as long as we don't fall over the clift.

Enough said.  I think that I have beat this one in the ground.  I am sure that
we will stir up things with our positions.  Hang on with me and don't let me
fall off the clift!

Bob Bedwell