Subject: [Leica] Parallax Considerations (was: contax g2 lenses etc.)
From: Jeff Moore <jbm@instinet.com>
Date: Mon, 09 Mar 1998 14:17:20 -0500

At 7 Mar 1998 17:57:49 +0100, Pascal <cyberdog@ibm.net> wrote:

> I also encountered some parallax difficulties with some pictures of my
> recent trip to London. I was using the M6 + Summilux 50 and 35 ASPH.
> Took a wide shot (35 mm ASPH) of the Houses of Parliament (Westminster)
> and Big Ben from across the river Thames. Everything was framed
> perfectly, nice composition, or so I thought, until I got back my
> pictures. Disappointment: the left side of the Houses of Parliament is
> cut off, and there is more info on the right side than I had wanted. A
> pity. So I would not too quickly conclude that the M6 does not have its
> share of parallax trouble.

Were the things which seemed mis-framed approximately as far away from the
camera as the point of focus?  Note that the parallax compensation is of
course tied to the rangefinder...  if you happen to be making a photo in which
some objects important to the composition are much farther or closer than
whatever's focused on, it may behoove you, if you're taking a leisurely photo,
to rack focus to their distance to see where they'll lie relative to the
framing lines.

(Please excuse this statement of the obvious, but sometimes the obvious is
only so in retrospect...  I didn't always take this phenomenon into account.)

Was your framing problem related to the above, or some actual mechanical
imprecision in the parallax-compensation mechanism?

 -Jeff M.