Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica-M Handgrip & RRS Quick Releases
From: Jeff Moore <jbm@instinet.com>
Date: Mon, 09 Mar 1998 15:05:00 -0500

At 7 Mar 1998 21:38:53 -0500, Art Searle <w2nra@erols.com> wrote:

> I wonder why no one has thought to combine the Leica M Handgrip with a quick
> release.  Are any of the standard quick releases close to the dimensions of
> the handgrip?   Who else thinks a combined handgrip/quick release would be a
> useful accessory?

Well, actually, what I was wishing for was an Abrahamson Rapidwinder whose
base had a machined-in groove for an Arca-style clamp.  If the groove went all
the way around the edge of the base, including the rounded ends, and the very
bottom bit were inset some from the outer dimensions, the result might look
like a very appealing bit of Machine-Age detail reminiscent of the stacked
discs of the M3/2/1 rewind and focus-preview levers; it would serve the
function of breaking the uncomfortably-square (to me; sacrilege, I know)
vertical contour of the right-rear of the M body where it digs into the palm;
it might not require (depending on the placement of internal parts) that the
Rapidwinder even be significantly taller; and it'd be damned handy.

For sheer functionality, yes, it'd be great if the above had a handgrip
thingie, too, preferably removable.  I find such devices really increase my
sense of security when (more sacrilege) I have a flash mounted, especially
when holding verticals while the left hand's momentarily occupied otherwise.
But that might be gilding the design lily.

I've been holding my tongue because I'm sure Mr. Abrahamson is sick to death
of feature kibitzers...  but you put me over the edge.  The problem, of
course, is that each one of these gizmos you add changes the interface (by
moving the tripod-mount screw at the least, and probably changing the bottom
profile), so you can't add several at once, even assuming you'd want to tote
around the teetering pile of things screwed to things which would result.  And
yes, of course, one wouldn't expect to be able to rapid-wind while a camera
was mounted on a tripod;  the question is one of avoiding having to carry an
extra camera bottom for use with a QR head.

 -Jeff M.