Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica M vs. R lenses thought
From: TEAShea <TEAShea@aol.com>
Date: Mon, 9 Mar 1998 14:25:17 EST

<< I think if the manufacturers stopped diddling with trying to out do each
 other with the internal toys and got down to building cameras like the
 Leica with everything built around quality then everyone would gain.  >>

Unfortunately many people are attracted by features rather than quality.  This
is true in cameras, cars and other goods.  One of the reasons I was attracted
to the Leica system is the reputation for basic quality - rather than
attention to features.  As long as most poeple are attracted to features, most
manufacturers will do their best to produce the most features.

Even companies who are (also) concerned with quality may do this.  One must
remember that the competitive pressures of profit that drive corporations.

This is not to say that all features are bad - some are very good and
worthwhile (at least in certain applications).  Canon's IS technology is quite
useful in certain situations, for example.

Tom Shea