Subject: Re: [Leica] M3 and rigid 50mm
From: thai pham <phamt@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 9 Mar 1998 13:30:00 -0800 (PST)

- ---Derek Zeanah  wrote:
> Also, I'll be buying a 35mm lens, and I'm wondering what options are
> available.  I checked the most recent KEH catalog and saw a 35mm
f3.5 RF
> lens -- are there any faster 35mm lenses that have "spectacles?"

Leitz made the summicron 35f2 and summaron 35f2.8 with RF
(spectacles).  The summicron has 8 elements and is as sharp as the
current one from f4 on.  The summaron 2.8 is an improved 3.5 with rare
earth glass and just as sharp as the summicron with 8 element for much
less.  I saw one of the summaron 2.8 mint- go for a little less than
$300 at ebay a few weeks ago.

I shot with both of these and the more recent 6 and  7 element 35f2
and for all practical purposes did not see any diiference in quality
among them above  f4.