Subject: Re: [Leica] M4 vs M4-2/M4-P
From: thai pham <phamt@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 9 Mar 1998 14:38:13 -0800 (PST)

- ---thibault collin  wrote:

> What are the best M4s?
> The regular old model or the more recent ones?
> Marc said that the new one are more reliable. Is that also true for
the M4?
> Or are the M4-2/M4-P exactly done like the old one?

I was a happy user of the original M-4 for eight years until it was
stolen in 1982. And contrary to recent claims,  it never went out of
adjustement through those eight years even though it have never been
cla'd .  I even dropped it once from about 5 feet, put a ding on the
top plate and the rf still focused correctly.

I am also a happy user of an M4-P since 1986.  However, I find that in
 contrast to the original M-4, the M-4P is sloppily put together.  On
the M-4P, the hinged back does not fit properly and yield slightly
under pressure.  The bottom plate does not seat properly and there is
a slight gap (about 0.2 mm) between the bottom plate and the leather
border.  The bottom plate even scrapes some paint off the inner body
seating surface.  The lens mount mating surface is not as flat as the
wetzlar m's.  None of these defects are present in the m3s and m4s
that I currently own and do not affect image quality.  Besides these
comestic imperfections, the M-4P have proven to be as realiable as any
leica m's I have owned.

These are only my own observations and I did not perform an
statistical quality control sampling to support any definitive
conclusions.

ps: I generally concur with those who say the m4 is the greatest m
ever made.  Sherry Krauter once told me that she would not touch an
m4-2 with a 10 foot pole and the m-4 is the last of the great ones.
Whatever this means.

thai.