Subject: Re: [Leica]Filters
From: abpeking <abpeking@public.bta.net.cn>
Date: Tue, 10 Mar 1998 23:55:39 +0800 (CST)

Eric,

If only my clients would accept negatives or even my scans to disc that
is what I would produce in difficult mixed lighting situations. I have
yet to come across any client who would be happy with negatives when
they need slides. I have also never seen a passable slide produced from
scans and shudder think what they would cost (especially when I would
need to offer several hundred for the client to choose from) even in
the States: in China you would be adding days or weeks and many
thousands of dollars to a job, which even a big budget client would
find unacceptable.

In most of the world IME the luxury of service bureaus, photoshop-savvy
customers and people who know what is what generally are rare: I have
often to deal with clients, or at least their representatives with whom
I am dealing, who ask for medium format "because the quality is better"
and then wonder why these guys with the famous Hasselblads keep
producing square pictures...

I never ask what format they want any more, never tell what I am going
to shoot with (I just say I have all formats from 35mm to 4x5 and I use
whatever is appropriate) and the clients seem to like what they get.
The only information I ask for is how is the photography going to be
used (and half the time they don't really know until I get them to find
out!). Despite all this 90% of my clients insist they need
transparencies (and then wonder how to get decent prints later...) and
I think that like most professionals worth their salt I produce results
that satisfy my own standards which are in nearly all cases, at least
technically, greatly higher than the client's.

I think there is no need per se to shoot with Leicas professionally,
just a preference on the part of the photographer about what we like
using and whatever the lovely colour or contrast or whatever you get
with the Leica lens the picture should still be strong enough had it
been taken with a lesser optic. These are matters of taste but matters
of technique - and here I finally return to the point - are
prerequisites of professionalism: if my client wants sharp clean colour
transparencies for a slide presentation to the CEO then they better not
be green tinged due to lack of correct filtration. I at least would
cringe at the prospect! I just wish Leicas were not so eccentric in
their filter fittings. By the by - I checked my catalogue from Foto
Brenner, one of if not THE biggest German mail order dealers, and they
have no 60mm, no Series filters and no Leica filters either in their
catalog. But if you want a shift adapter for Mamiya lenses on Nikon
bodies they've got those ;)

Bests

Adrian

Adrian Bradshaw