Subject: Re: Was: [Leica] Leica M vs. R lenses thought Now: 85/1.4 Nikkor
From: Larry Kopitnik <kopitnil@mra-inc.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Mar 1998 14:49:49 -0600

Re: the smooth out-pf-focus image you're getting with your 85/1.4 AF Nikkor
- - - check out the number of diaphragm blades. I think Nikon increased them in
the AF version, and it has more blades than most lenses on the market
today. I believe this is a major source of "Bokeh" everybody talks about,
and why old Leica lenses show this so well too.

You're right; the number of aperture blades has increased. I recall mention
of that in some advertising literature . And I suspect you're correct
concerning that impacting the lens' remarkable "bokeh." That and the fact
that depth-of-field is so narrow with this lens wide open, and the areas in
focus are so crisply detailed and sharp, that the character of the "bokeh"
becomes much more distinguishable in photos taken with this lens.

Larry