Subject: [Leica] Defective lenses
From: "delia" <louzan@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Tue, 10 Mar 1998 19:56:02 -0000

Eric,

I respect your opinion but I disagree.
The issue here is that the lens was DEFECTIVE FROM FACTORY (big quality
control problems as reported by many dealers and fellow LUG members), be it
direct import or not, and Leica DID NOT live up to what they promise in
their literature.  Also, even if the lens purchased is a "LEICA", that's
not reason enough to get insulted.
If Leica USA feels so strongly about parallel imports (and trust me I was
given the long speech on what it does to them) why do they give dealerships
to companies already selling parallel imports in the first place?
They won't say, because after all, money is money to the parent company.
Their comment "US laws pretty much allow them to do whatever they want
regarding the replacement/repair of defective items" I think should be a
cause for concern.  What happened to Jeff is an example of this, and in my
view, he has every right to be displeased with a second rate repair of his
lens under passport.
Now as for NIKON, and CANON, just because they do it as well doesn't make
it right.

Marvin, you probably missed my posting: V2 #220 under Defective lenses.
"Our policy is none of your business, and we don't have to explain it to
you" ... Makes me wonder too.

Regards,
Robert
17 miles south of Leica USA and mighty pissed off.