Subject: [Leica] defective lenses
From: "delia" <louzan@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Sun, 8 Mar 1998 20:59:13 -0000

Jeff, consider yourself lucky on your 50mm Elmar-M repair.  They didn't
replace/fix my defective one.  Now you know where your extra $$$ go when
you pay for the passport warranty, it sure is cheaper and faster to get a
pair of tweezers and some paint and do it yourself, as you saw.
As for Don, a Leica USA spokeperson told me by phone regarding this and
other matters, "US laws pretty much give them the freedom to do whatever
they want regarding replacement/repairs of defective items" and, "their
policy is none of my business, they didn't have to explain it to me,  they
were very busy" and that that was the end of the matter. They also
encouraged me to post my experience on the board since they said, "you will
be doing us a favor."
Recently a well-known dealer in NYC confided in me, that due to the
numerous returns of defective items, they had taken to unsealing and
checking every camera and lens from Leica USA, returning the defective ones
for repair before the customer had a chance to know if there was anything
wrong.  They wouldn't comment on whether these items were being sold as
new.  I admire their entrepreneurship, but I think I have a right to know
this.  Now I'm sure any LUG members who are lawyers can tell us if by law
(federal or state) these are considered New or Refurbished items.

Regards to all,
Robert