Subject: [Leica] warning about plastic on base plate
From: "BIRKEY, DUANE" <dbirkey@hcjb.org.ec>
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 1998 9:00:14 -0500

Leica USA has informed me that the plastic should be removed from base as
it can cause static buildup which could in turn leave static discharge
marks on your film.  Particularly if the camera is used in cold or dry
climates.

I commented that it seems kind of silly to put it on in the first place.
But apparently Leica Marketing has insisted that Solms put the plastic on
so that baseplates will recieve less wear while dealers show the cameras
to potential customers.   They feel that the collector market likes to
have it on as well as it can maintain the value of the camera better.

There is supposed to be a written notice included with the cards that
warns users to remove the plastic sticker especially if the camera is to
be used in cold or dry climates.  I don't remember seeing that piece of
paper with my camera.

Anybody else see that????

Duane