Subject: [Leica] Scanning Leica film
From: Bill Barrett <barrettb@dialup.websteruniv.edu>
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 1998 10:08:57

Eric,

I put a Kodak RFS 2035 on the photo desk for our student newspaper, and (as
you said) it works beautifully. It even does a good job on the film the
students shoot in Brand N and Brand C cameras <g>. Interestingly, I was
told some years ago that the Kodak digital stuff was initially optimised
for negatives because of their (long ago) mistaken idea that the biggest
market would be amateur snapshots viewed on TV-based Photo CD players. (I'm
open to correction on that, but so I was told by a Kodak rep when I was
based in NY.)

Do you know if there's any software more current than what shipped with the
RFS 2035 or 3570 (we have one of them, too, in the classroom where I teach
Photoshop etc.)? The new Kodak 4050 (4x5) even has film curves for
competitors' products, but that's a $50K scanner (and I'd sooner get an S1
if I had that kind of budget)! Someone here suggested telling the scanner
it's Royal Gold 200 when you scan T400CN, but that's not the only newer
film the RFS doesn't recognize. What do you do?

Bill

>Personally, I prefer slides for most of my personal work. I like editing
>them, and they just have such a nice look to them. But they sure don't scan
>as nicely as negatives do. As scanning and digital imaging become the norm,
>I think more and more publications won't care which you shoot.
>Eric Welch

Bill Barrett
St. Louis
barrettb@webster.edu (preferred address for personal mail)