Subject: Re: [Leica] warning about plastic on base plate
From: COLBYG@ULV.EDU
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 1998 10:28:40 -0700 (PDT)

Wow, this is getting more interesting than I'd anticipated...

> >>Leica USA has informed me that the plastic should be removed from base as
> >>it can cause static buildup which could in turn leave static discharge
> >>marks...

	I've seen static discharge before, on 35mm and 4X5 sheet film. It looks
like little lightning bolts, but it's generated directly at the mark. It's hard
to imagine the plastic sheet, so far from the film plane, could be much of a
problem. Also, I haven't seen anything about removing the plastic in the
literature that came with the body.

> Interesting, because on two occasions with my old M6 (still with plastic
> sheet on bottom) I have exposed rolls of Ilford HP5+ that were essentially
> ruined from static marks that were all over the entire film surface...

	I've had this happen before. When it's dry and cold I've learned to
rewind the film *very slowly* or static discharges from the felt light trap on
the cassette. Even then it's been a problem. I've wondered, but haven't tried,
taking the camera body to ground before rewinding the film.

- -Gary Colby
colbyg@ulv.edu