Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica R8: angel crashed and burned
From: Pascal <cyberdog@ibm.net>
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 1998 21:54:03 +0100

On 11-03-1998 10:01 KK Hui wrote:

>I too have had a painful experience with the R8 and R-lenses, in
>particular, my 280/4 R-Apo-Telyt. This is my third R8 I have. The first
>one had its system/shutter locked up in mid-roll and could not get it
>reset by taking out & reinstalling the batteries; this was in the middle
>of a photo session! Local agent in Hong Kong exchanged a new one for me
>after contacting the Leica engineer who happened to be the area at that
>time. This second one has problem with the back LCD display; some
>segments does not come on. My currently one is not perfect either, first
>with film scratch (things improve to almost disappearing after running
>thro about 5 or 6 rolls of 36-exp film) and then the back does not close
>properly without interference at the lower bottom left part where it
>meets the body. I'm putting up with this one.
(snip)

I have to confirm that I also had serious trouble with my first Leica R8
body last year; I had to exchange it against a new one. As I wrote on the
LUG the problems were some of the same you have experienced: the LCD back
panel not displaying things correctly, and the back not closing just by
pushing on it.
The second body seems to work all right. However, I do experience a
problem with the viewfinder (both on the first and the second one). It
seems the image in the finder is not exactly what I get on slide. I have
followed advice by fellow Luggers on this list to check possible
viewfinder or mirror misalignment. Took some shots of a poster on the
wall with R8 and Summilux 80mm on a tripod. The picture was framed
correctly. Upon inspection of the slide, I noticed that the lower part of
the image is "cut off" (so real image is less than what is displayed) and
the upper part of the image is somewhat more that had been framed.
I feel I should do some more testing to be perfectly sure I did nothing
wrong and before jumping to hasty conclusions.

As for the lens problems, I also had my share of them. Had to return both
Summilux 80mm and Elmarit 28mm, mostly for mechanical problems (blocked
focussing ring and so on).

Pascal

t h i n k   d i f f e r e n t               a p p l e    c o m p u t e r