Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica M vs. R lenses thought
From: Pascal <cyberdog@ibm.net>
Date: Mon, 9 Mar 1998 11:39:23 +0100

On 08-03-1998 19:02 Eric Welch wrote: (with many snips)

>The 19mm Elmarit is a quite new design, and doesn't necessarily need an
>aspherical element. It is so good, I can't imagine how they could improve
>it except that tiny bit of vignetting in the extreme (and I mean extreme!)
>corners. Other than that, it's a lens that can stand up against any wide
>angle lens Leica or anyone else offers. I use the 35 Summilux ASPH, and the
>Elmarit is just as good a lens, in terms that can legitimately be compared.
>
>Then they concentrated on the M6, and now, after may years, they have
>lenses as good or better than the R system. Now it's time for the R system
>to get some great wide/fast lenses. Give them some time. They only went
>public in '96 and tripled their R&D budget then. It took 8 years to design
>and execute the R8. I'm hoping for a new 35 Summilux R ASPH some day! <G>
>But I love what I have today.

Eric,

I am at present looking for some more wideangle than 28mm to go with the
R8. That explains my thinking and posting of the Leica M vs. R lenses
thought.

I would be much interested in the Elmarit 19mm, it is a apparently a
great lens.
But, and I am going to ask an impossible question (but I'll do it
anyway): do you think Leica has plans for an overhaul of the R
wideangles, and wouldn't I be better advised to wait for some more years
(we're speaking Leica terms here...)?

Pascal

t h i n k   d i f f e r e n t               a p p l e    c o m p u t e r