Subject: Re: [Leica]warning about plastic on base plate
From: "Philip S. Kronenberg" <philkvt@vt.edu>
Date: Thu, 12 Mar 1998 01:13:40 -0500 (EST)

Duane,

The day my new M6 arrived from Don Chatterton last month, I called him to
discuss a lens and in the course of our conversation, I asked him if it made
sense to leave the protective plastic film on the baseplate--since I was
going to put a Really Right Stuff QR plate on it. He said to leave it on,
that it would protect the metal from scratches and could do no harm.

After I saw you question on our LUG list, I checked back through the cards
and booklets that came with my M6. There was absolutely nothing from Leica
that cautioned about the need to remove the protective film from the baseplate.

That fact, added to my trust in Don Chatterton, leads me to conclude that
I'll leave the plastic film on the baseplate.

        -Phil kronenberg, Reston, Virginia