Subject: Re: Plastic & Dale ( was: [Leica] What happened ?)
From: Alfred Breull <puma@hannover.sgh-net.de>
Date: Thu, 12 Mar 1998 20:15:01 +0100

At 08:04 12.03.1998 -0800, Dale R. Reed wrote:
>Alfred Breull wrote:
><snip> plastic in the M6. <snip>
>
>I must have missed something here.  What do you guys have against
>plastic?

Dale,

a total of four words out of a reply ... ok, another aspect:

The view of functionalism is not the only standpoint - there
are also many traditional and irrational aspects, which do have
a very personal and signifcant meaning.

These aspects - beliefs, attitudes, and persuasions, not to speak
of emotions - are strongly related to "the" Leica, the one that's
reliable, the one you can trust, the one that never let's you down,
no matter what.

It's something like a beloved old melody, whose harmony you
feel inside. All single aspects are important in this harmony,
and you guess correct, I'm not exactly a friend of re-interpretations
or covers (?, word). They feel diffrent - it's not the same anymore.

We all have our little merrits, don't we ?
If I'd want a plastic camera I'd buy one.

And to reply to your next argument, before you ask:

I'd prefer any Leica from IIIf to M5 to a CD Leica, even
if she had an Apo-Super-Macro-Giga-lens. I'd use her as a
new tool, probably, but I'd prefer the others. They feel solid,
they can be trusted.

But, I admit, that an M6-0.85 with the 40+ years reliability
(maybe as the new type Leica/ Solms warranty) and the "release
button feeling" of an M2 would be fine also.  :)

Alf

Alfred Breull

e-mail:  <puma@hannover.sgh-net.de>
website: <http://members.aol.com/abreull/index.htm>