Subject: Re: [Leica] Small thyristor Flash ??
From: Donal Philby <donalphilby@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 12 Mar 1998 18:01:17 -0800

Steve Echols wrote:.

> >Recommend looking at story by David Alan Harvey in current Nat.
> >Geographic on Naples.  Because he no longer uses any other camera than
> >an M6 (he says) and loves low light (suffers as many of us do from the
> >Bill Allard virus) he has become a master of the little flash and
> >thyristor.
> >
> >donal
>
> Is there such a thing as a small output little thyristor flash??
> Steve

Steve,
In one way of thinking, any thyristor flash can be small output if
adjusted is a certain way.  But also, Vivitar makes tiny ones.  I think
Harvey uses a 7000 series little one.  I am not too familiar with any
but the 283/285, but you could look it up.  My one serious complaint
with the 283/5s is that their are gaps in the flash apertures.  I have
used a Nikon SB-24 successfully on an M and it is smart enough to let
you set any F/stop in 1/3 stop setting in automatic mode.  the new SB-28
is even small and lighter.  Might be perfect.  Metz also makes a handle
mount converter for the Mz30/40 that I think lets you mount on side of
camera but then quickly release for off camera work.  Might be ideal,
too.

donal

- --
Donal Philby