Subject: Re: [Leica] FILL FLASH
From: Donal Philby <donalphilby@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 15 Mar 1998 15:49:59 -0800

Paul Kern wrote:

> I use a 283 for fill flash regularly with chrome films from asa 25-100.
> Just remember, keep your fill below your incident meter reading and piece
> of diffusion material or spun glass taped over the flash helps keep the
> subject from looking like a cardboardc cut-out. The rest is judgement and
> experience.

Paul,
Correct me if I'm wrong, but diffusion material or spun glass on the
flash will only help if there is something (ceiling, wall) to act as
reflector of light emitted sideways from the diffusion.  Mostly all
diffusion material does is lower the color temperature slightly.  To
soften the image one must change the SIZE of the light source.  Slipping
on one of those blow up gizmos can do a little bit, making the light
source maybe four times larger.

Size of light source in reducing shadow contrast is what drives sales of
softboxes and light panels (I know, I have many!).  It is also
interesting to note that the softer the light the less color
saturation.  Pin point light source (the sun) and great, saturated
color.  Same with flash on camera strobe (as long as not too cold--a
common problem with most small strobes).  Large light source less
saturation.  Which is why some room set photographers (and occasional
people shooters) use a combination:  Large softbox with a pencil light
(basically a bare flash bulb) in the middle.  With this setup you get
nice saturation and open shadows.  Balcar has several light control
devices that work with this concept, and work well.

I do use the Stofen attachment and it works great in small spaces where
I want light to bounce around.  But if I used it in a gymnasium, all it
would do is use up batteries over coming a 2-stop loss.

donal
- --
Donal Philby
San Diego