Subject: Re: [Leica] 90/2.8 Tele-Elmarit Question
From: Stephen <cameras@jetlink.net>
Date: Sat, 14 Mar 1998 06:49:47 -0800

Marc James Small wrote:

> At 09:11 PM 3/13/98 -0800, David Medley wrote:
> >
> >In Stephen Gandy's site he mentions a problem with this lens and the
> animal
> >based grease attacking the coating on the rear element. The solution
> is to
> >have the lens re-lubed with a modern synthetic grease. Has anyone had
>
> >experience with this problem. And, of all of the normal repair shops
> used
> >by LUGers is one better than another for lens repair/re-lubing?
>
> I strongly suspect this is an urban myth, but then I've only examined
> several dozen of these lenses over the past ten years:  this may be
> like
> the mysterious 'gassing' factor which seems to happen only on the West
> Coast.

it's unfortunate that Marc has a tendency to "strongly suspect" things
are a myth that he has no knowledge of.

Call Don Chatterton.    while you are at it, talk to him about the
fogging factor that Marc seems to think is limited to the West Coast.

Keep in mind though, if Marc has not heard of Don, he may be an urban
myth.

Regards,

Stephen Gandy