Subject: Re: [Leica] Visoflex Advice
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Sat, 14 Mar 1998 11:52:28 -0500

From the user angle, the Visoflex III is the preferred model -- these guys
are relatively common and relatively inexpensive, being available in the
$250 price range.  (Leitz seems to have over-produced them a bit, as 'new
in box' units surface frequently.)  The III was in production for twenty
years, effectively longer than any other variant of the VISO (the original
PLOOT appeared in '36 and the I, its direct ancestor, leaves production in
'60, but there seems to have been a hiatus in production from '40 to '48.)

The PLOOT is only available in LTM, the I and II and IIa in both LTM and M
mount, while the III is only available in M.  The M6 can meter accurately
with the Viso fitted:  just meter with the mirror up.

You might want to pick up a Bellows II while you are shopping.  The Bellows
II can be adapted to a number of lens heads:  mine, for instance, has a
4/90 Elmar head on it which allows infinity focus down to some staggering
macro shots.  Even the Telyt lens heads can be fitted with the proper
adapter -- using a 280mm lens as a macro lens is a lot of fun!

HOWEVER and NOTA BENE!!!  You can't tell the players without a program:
you will need a guide to figure out which adapters you need.  I recommend
Laney's ACCESSORY GUIDE or COLLECTORS GUIDE.

Marc

msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bas fir gun ghras fir!