Subject: Re: [Leica] DR finders - beware
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Sat, 14 Mar 1998 12:02:53 -0500

At 11:12 AM 3/14/98 -0500, Ted Gosfield wrote:
>If you buy a 50mm Summicron NF (="DR") without finder, as i did, and buy a
>finder seperately, as i did, make darn sure you try the finder on the lens
>first, as i did not.
>
>There are at least two kinds of 'eyes', with different size mounting detent
>'balls'.  Or perhaps the two series of NF lenses have different sized
>mounting dimples.  At any rate, my finder doesn't fit my second series
>lens. It's too loose.

Yes, there are two versions of the DR lens and two versions of the eyes.
The older lens is scaled in both metric and feet and the engraving on the
eyes has the Leitz lens-diagram logo with 'E Leitz Wetzlar' engraved as
well;  the newer lens is either in feet or meters and the lens-diagram logo
is missing from the eyes.

See MGEN Roy Moss's write up on this in VIEWFINDER several years back:  the
article is y-clept "The Eyes Have It!"

The eyes are worth around $150 in E+ condition to $75 in good user
condition, though I have bought them for $20 at camera shows.

Marc

msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bas fir gun ghras fir!