Subject: Re: [Leica] Camera quality
From: Jim Brick <jim@brick.org>
Date: Sat, 14 Mar 1998 09:10:36 -0800

At 04:53 AM 3/15/98 +0000, you wrote:
>For the record, I can remember a few of the people who've had trouble with
their
>M6's (and R8's + lenses). All is from memory so pardon any errors:
>
>Tina Manly has had terrible luck: A brken rewind M6 and a shattered
shutter R8.
>Ferdinand had a bad M6.
>Tom Shea had a run of three bad M6's and a bad lens
>Ian Stanley has a tampered with NIB M6 that has faulty flash sync and RF
wheel
>screwhead marring.
>Robert Louzan has a defective NIB 50/2.8 that is repaired, rather than
replaced
>under passport (apparantly not left in new condition)
>
>Anyone else remember some more history?
>
>DannyGonzalez

I wonder if any of these people have had car trouble? I have a family of
six. Three sons, one daughter, a wife, and me. Five of us have BMW's of
various vintage. Mine's the newest, a 94 530, my wife's is a 91 525,
daughter a 90 325is, oldest son am 88 M3, next oldest son an 87 325i. Each
and every one of these cars has had something break. Something that wasn't
supposed to break. My wife's has had two new heads, a new radiator, and
transmission work three times. Mine has had two new timing chain covers. My
daughter's is the most trouble free. The M3 has a new engine. The 87 seems
OK too.

The point is that sh*t happens! Period. I will continue to buy BMW's as
will my kids. Like Leicas, we know them, trust them, and when they get
sick, we fix them.

Also, you are looking at probably .001% of the total Leica population. And
of the 300 or 400 LUG members, you are looking at perhaps 1%. And don't
forget, many times problems are brought about by a mistake in handling.

Jim