Subject: [Leica] What is bad bokeh?
From: John McLeod <johnmcleod@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Sun, 15 Mar 1998 22:36:40 +0000

LUGgers -

I have a passing familiarity with what "bokeh" is, but am curious if there
is a consensus on what good bokeh is (compared with, say, "bad" bokeh :)  ?
I just took some Kodachrome 64 slides with a Nikon 50/1.4 lens (I generally
use Leicas).  The slides were very sharp, saturation was good, but the out
of focus areas had a choppy look.  By "choppy" I mean that the out of focus
images were not smooth.  It was like looking at 2 or 3 outlines of an image,
rather than the 1 that was in front of the lens -- distracting.  Am I seeing
bad bokeh here or do I just need glasses (help Dr. Clompus -- just kidding)?

John McLeod