Subject: [Leica] Leica" This is it!" R35mm f2 ROM
From: Myers Pete <MyersPete@aol.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Mar 1998 19:06:14 EST

Dear LUGnuts:

I have received several private emails from LUGnuts over the last few months
requesting that I keep you all posted on my struggles for a replacement R35mm
f2 ROM.

You may recall that it started back on December 02, 1997 ordering a lens from
W. B, Hunt Co.. They do not have full stock on Leica products, so it took
until just before Christmas until my lens was in. When it arrived, I found
noticeable defects in the coating on the front element. Most of these defects
were on the edge of the optics, with one or two pin holes in the center. Could
I have shot this lens? Most likely, but it seemed silly to except shipment of
a new lens that had defects.

The lens went back right away. But, it took until February 03, 1998 before I
received the replacement lens. Leica told Hunt's that the lens had been put on
the optics bench and tested quite well and that they had given the lens a good
once over.

However, I immediately found a pin head size metallic bump on the rear element
of the replacement lens. Could I have shot with it? Most likely. But again, it
seemed silly to accept delivery on a lens that had an obvious defect. Even my
wife could see it clearly - a non-photographer.

Once again I sent the lens back immediately. I also wrote directly to Roger
Horn, president of Leica USA. He conveyed to me, via Brenda Olesin, that he
had ordered 10 units of this lens from Solms and that I should have a
replacement on the way to me in 10 days. That was on February 4.

I wrote Brenda Olesin again on February 25 to check in on their progress. I
received a nice fax from Ms. Olesin on March 2 indicating that a lens had been
hand selected by Mr. Domhardt in Solms and was on its way.

Last Friday (March 13), I faxed Brenda Olesin once again to check on the
status. I must confess to both canceling and then re-instating the order this
last week do to shear frustration in the long wait. This was a bit of a bobble
on my part.

Today, March 16, Leica delivered the lens to Hunts with a stern warning from
the Leica rep that "This is it!" - the meaning interpreted by Hunt's was that
either I take it or leave it - they will do not more for me. This is second
hand information. I heard it from Hunt's and not directly from the Leica Rep.
But, I have worked with my rep at Hunt's for many years now and take it on
face value that it was an accurate quote.

Not having seen the lens yet, I hope that I finally have this all behind me
and can get on with the large amount of work to do this year. But, I must
confess to finding it disturbing to have the rep say "This is it!" if indeed
he said so. I certainly did not box up the lenses in question and ship them
out - Leica did. Perhaps the defects were marginal defects in their opinion.

I certainly did not hear back from them that it was their opinion that they
were marginal, nor that it was Leica's policy to ship slightly flawed lenses,
be it cosmetic or not. I assumed that the normally $1500 difference in price
between a Canon or Nikon 35mm lens and a Leica lens is that there was a higher
quality use of materials and meticulous quality control. Quality Assurance
testing is very, very expensive as it is labor intensive.

Previous to my use of Leica products, I had shot Nikon and then finally Canon
for many years. I bought a fair number of bodies and lenses from each of these
companies, but more so, Canon. Perhaps I was very lucky, but non of the bodies
I received had white glove lint in them. None of the lenses had cosmetic or
functional defects of any type. It is ironic that I sought out Leica to
deliver defect free product with the quality assurance testing to assure that
the elements are center, the body works, etc.. This is one of their key
pitches in their sales brochures - superior quality assurance.

I am looking forward to receiving my lens tomorrow. I hope that it is lovely
and that I have it as a working tool for many decades. As you all know, when
it all works, the image quality is seemingly worth the pain to get there. I
certainly love my R28mm f2.8 ROM, which arrived perfect in the fall of last
year.

Pete Myers

PS My special thanks to Brenda Olesin for her efforts at Leica USA to provide
me with a lens. Also to Nils Thoreson for his direction on matters concering
the R8 screen and 'grit' issues.